Solid Butterfly Bath Oil
For those who want the nourishing effects of butters and oils without the fizz of a bath bomb, bath melts or solid bath oils are perfect. They’re easier to make, too, because they aren’t as finicky as bath bombs. These bath melts are made with geranium essential oil. You can substitute an essential oil of your choice. If you choose to use fragrance oil (FO) instead, be sure to check the recommended usage amount because it will be different.
Lotus flower extract gives this melt that extra special something that is great for dry or mature skin.
Enjoy these by placing one in a tub of very warm water. Relax and let the stress of the day melt away!
1 ½ Oz Cocoa Butter
1 ½ Oz Illipe Butter
1 Oz Shea Butter
1 Oz Mango Butter
.8 Oz Geranium Essential Oil
½ Oz Jojoba Oil
11 mL Polysorbate 80
¼ Teaspoon Lotus Flower Extract
Digital kitchen scale
Silicone butterfly mold
2 small glass measuring cups or bowls (microwave safe)
¼ Measuring teaspoon
*Note* Measure all ingredients, EXCEPT the lotus flower extract with the digital kitchen scale.
Butterfly Solid Bath Oil
- Measure all butters and jojoba oil together in a microwave safe container. I use a small glass measuring cup.
- Melt together in microwave on short bursts of 20-30 seconds, stirring with a spoon between each burst. This will take several bursts because the illipe butter is hard. Set aside.
- Measure and combine geranium essential oil, polysorbate 80, and lotus flower extract in a separate container (glass measuring cup).
- Once the butter and jojoba oil mixture has cooled slightly, combine with the geranium essential oil/polysorbate 80/extract mixture. Stir.
- Place mold on top of sturdy cookie sheet. Doing this allows you to easily move the mold after it’s filled.
- Pour mixture into mold.
- Place in refrigerator for 2-3 hours or overnight. You can also choose not to place in the refrigerator and allow to harden overnight in a cool, dry, place.
- Loosen butterflies by pulling on mold in both directions and then popping out from the bottom.
- Store in cool, dry place. I place mine in a glass mason jar and keep in my office.
- Yields approximately 9- .7 oz butterflies using the Easter 13.5”x10.5” 24-cavity Silicone Mini Treat Mold-Butterfly from Joann
POLYSORBATE 80 HELPS TO DISPERSE THE BUTTER AND OILS SO THEY DON'T STICK TO THE TUB, BUT YOU SHOULD STILL USE CAUTION WHEN ENTERING AND EXITING SO YOU DON'T SLIP!!