A friend recently had a summer cold. I’m not sure what’s worse – getting a cold in the dead of winter or on a bright sunshiney day. I created these sinus shower steamers for her. They work like a charm and they’re oh-so-easy to make!
2 Cups Baking Soda
½ Cup Citric Acid
½ Cup Menthol Crystals – crushed
20 Drops Irish Green La Bomb (download PDF to find out where I get this and for tips and tricks)
The following should be measured using a digital kitchen scale, NOT a measuring cup:
1 Oz Eucalyptus Essential Oil
½ Oz Witch Hazel
Digital kitchen scale
Large glass bowl
Glass measuring cup
Measuring cups for dry ingredients
- In a large glass bowl whisk together baking soda and crushed menthol crystals.
- Measure together essential oil and witch hazel in glass measuring cup.
- Add essential oil and witch hazel to dry mixture. Whisk until combined.
- Add 20 drops of La Bomb colorant to mixture and whisk again until combined. Use your hands if necessary.
- Add citric acid and whisk again.
- Press compactly into silicone mold.
- Gently press up on bottom of mold to release each steamer.
- Set in safe place overnight to dry. making sure steamers are not stacked upon each other, or they will stick to each other. You can also let them dry overnight in the mold.
Place one steamer in the shower, so that it is not directly in the water stream, but will still get wet.
WARNING: NOT INTENDED FOR USE IN THE BATH TUB! THE MENTHOL CRYSTALS WILL BURN SENSITIVE AREAS, INCLUDING EYES AND GENITALS!
ANOTHER WARNING: DO NOT STORE IN GLASS CONTAINER – MY CONTAINER CRACKED. I’M NOT CERTAIN WHY, BUT I BELIEVE IT COULD BE BECAUSE OF THE MENTHOL CRYSTALS.